Tuesday 31 December 2013

My happiness project

2016 Update: My happiness project had to be put on hold for a few years as I couldn't take it on as all my focus was on getting our son better and I also had some health issues. 
I will be resuming it in the near future as I still think it would be a great thing to do, so I'll keep ye posted :) 

A few months ago I came across this book named The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin and I put it onto my amazon wish list, but left it there and forgot about it. Then, just over a week ago I felt like life needed some changes so I went looking for it again, bought it, and voila! I was hooked!

What a wicked book! Some chapters were a bit tedious, which is understandable as everyone's happiness project is specific for themselves, and some aspects of her project weren't relevant to my life, but I took the ideas I needed from it and have decided to start my own Happiness Project for 2014. 

As the title of this blog suggests, I am a happy person, surrounded by people I love, living in a place that gives me comfort and peace, but there is room for improvement. I'm not quiet the bubbly, confident, outrageous Kathie I used to be, now I understand the majority of that comes from sleep deprivation, exhaustion, and just life, but I am determined to get my mojo back :) Bearing in mind I will be turning 30 in two weeks, I think this is the perfect project. I'm loving the fact of being nearly 30. I've learned so much over the last few years, and had my two babies, who are growing up so fast, and now I feel like a new lease of life, a fresh healthy start, with more wisdom is underway. I have an amazing fiance whom I can share this all with, the idea of a new number gives me a clean page - energy for a fresh start. I'm loving it!!! :)

So, right, my happiness project...I'll use Mrs. Rubins steps as a guideline...ie. I'm going to keep some mantras at hand that I love, and set myself goals. One for each month of 2014. Of course I'd love to do all of them at once, but I know me, so at the risk of getting nothing achieved at all, small steps have to be taken. 

Over the last few days I've been wondering what I need to sort out to become a happier person, of course Mr. T's health issues to go away would be my first and foremost, but we are already doing the best we can there, so here goes my new years resolutions if you like;

January - Catch up on sleep! I haven't had a full nights sleep since Morocco in January 2011! 
February - Be healthier. There's always room for improvement, and ailments can be made better. 
March - Time management. I'm such a spacer at times!
April - Be a better mum. I know I can and should do better.
May - Tom time. After a difficult year we need to have a bit more fun and time together. 
June - Accept my post baby body. A stumbling block for my usual confident self. 
July - Spend more time outside. A great healer for all sorts. 
August - Be a better friend/family member.  I love them all, so it's worth it :)
September - More me time. Where did that go?
October - Attitude. Find my crazy old self and take some new risks. 
November - Career. I don't want to be a jack of all trades and a master of none. Make decisions. 
December - Did it work? and enjoy Christmas. 

Then, I'm going to try hang up these mantras somewhere and hopefully they'll sink into my brain...

- Lighten up.
- Yesterday's history, tomorrow's a mystery, but today is a gift, that's why it's called the present. 
- See the sea.
- Behave as you want to feel
- Laugh when you can, apologise when you should, and let go of what you can't change. 
- Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its troubles, it empties today of its strength. 
- Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly elated and fulfilled, worn out, and screaming: 'WOO-HOO! what a ride!"

Well I'm excited about this. Even since deciding to do this I'm happier :) I may seem a bit self indulgent and boring to write a blog about my own happiness project, but if Gretchen Rubin hadn't written about hers, I wouldn't be full of excitement and determination now to do my own. A happier me = a happier family & more happy memories. To be happier is healthier, and better fun!

Thank you 2013 for the lessons I have learned, but 2014, I am glad you are nigh, please be kind, and lets have a blast. Have a great new years eve, and good luck to all in 2014! 

4 comments:

  1. Nice one, Kathie. Any way I/we can help....just let us know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AW Kathie this the first time iv Sat down an read true u blog probably mainly cos . Was with you in the middle of it all going on wen u started it I no how tuff it was totly mental. Infact iv never expearance anything like it an reading back over your year it's broken my heart all over agen but also made me RELIZE wow Kathie your so strong an such a hero of a mother an if To m had had a kid with someone else my Mr T May still be going true this an lots of other thoughts but mostly how gratefull I am that he's in your unreal beautifuly careing hands your so smart an you do things that I envy so much your a serpreem woman an I'm in your awr all the time also I'm so proud of you an what you have done for the hole family you complete us more then anyone xxx there are a million things iv said to u an could say to u time an time agen but you no how special u r to me!!! October is our month I'll help u tick sone of them boxes I love you so much xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey hun,
      Thank you for your lovely kind message, and thank you for all your help so far. In years to come we'll be all the wiser and less toxic because our little Mr. T taught us a lot, and by then our little hero will be right as rain. Love you x

      Delete