Monday 9 December 2013

Infantile eczema update - December 2013

(I will provide links & better editing on this post in the morning when at the computer. For now, this is all that's possible via my phone)

Hey folks, 
I haven't given ye an update in a while as to how our little Mr.T is doing. I've been trying to get life a little more normal over the last few months. It's hard going when you're constantly fighting to keep your little baby (toddler now!) from being ill, and keeping the rest of the family sane and happy too, as well as myself,..... Must not forget! 

I had been warned about the colder months having a bad effect on Mr.T's eczema, but now that it's happening it's still difficult to watch. The winter winds make his cheeks drier and more prone so I try keep him greased up when he's outside.. But the warm air inside also makes his skin drier. The first weeks of winter this was very apparent and even the skin that had been healed under his organic clothes over the last 6 months got dry. Tom suggested we try the oatmeal baths. I had been cautious before as some people are allergic to oatmeal, but we decided to give it a try. He didn't react, and it definitely helps. 
For anyone wanting to try it here goes:
- Put a cupful of organic oat flakes into a muslin cloth, tie together with a hairband to keep it nice and secure. 
- Put it into your bath as you fill the hot water first. What is recommended is that you only run the hot water and leave the oat flakes steep until the bath is the correct temperature for your child. ( the same temperature as your elbow when dipped into the water.) Usually though we don't have that much time as it's either bedtime soon or Mr.T is itchy and needs relief fast. So we run the hot water, leave it steep a while, and then run the cold until it's at a suitable temperature. 
- the muslin bag will feel slimy and squishy. We use this as a sponge to wash him down, and then just have a bit of play and splashing until he's ready to get out. 

The oatmeal baths leave his skin lovely and soft, and after that we've been applying the itchy baby balm or Vaseline on skin that has been thoroughly dried with a clean soft towel. (Yes, I know, I'm not a fan of petroleum products, but when you're seeking anything at all that can give your child relief, then sometimes needs must, even just for a little while. ) I generally leave his good skin alone now after a bath, why try fix something that isn't broken eh? The skin thats healthy seems to be happy doing it's own moisturising. 
On the contrary, I can't say the same for his cheeks, ears, and hands. If I left them moisturise themselves Mr.T would have itchy bleeding sores. After his oatmeal baths we dry these areas as best we can, and then,....well I haven't found a solution. We've been trying alsorts. Here's some that spring to mind immediately:
- homemade lard - we're lucky enough to live on a small holding where we had our own two pigs for the freezer (appropriately named 'Rasher' and 'Chop'). Thanks to Toms geniusness as I call it we now have our own pig lard, homegrown, without antibiotics and GM food. I usually use it for cooking when olive oil, grape seed oil or rapeseed oil aren't called for, but we decided to try it as a moisturiser. What harm could it do? At least we know what's in it,.... Well, it wasn't the miracle cream. It moisturised, and I still use it on him sometimes, but it didn't ward off more sensitivity. 
- sudocreme, works well sometimes, but I feel it can be quiet harsh when he's badly inflamed. 
- cumin seed oil/ coconut oil/ beeswax, all do the same as the lard really, good for keeping the skin moisturised, but does nothing for being inflamed. 
- steroid cream, yes. At our wits end we tried it. I didn't want to go back using it as I feel in the long run it makes Mr.T more susceptible, but we did try a course of it. I thought maybe our house was detergent free enough that maybe his skin just needed a helping hand to heal. Maybe it would kick start a cycle of stronger skin cells that would in turn be stronger against mild, occasional, unavoidable detergent exposure, but no. We tried the steroid cream, thinly, for about 4/5 days and though it stopped Mr.T itching and the redness might have faded slightly for an hour or two, it would be back. It wasn't worth staying on it. Needless to say, I still have detergent in the house, but where? It's heartbreaking. 
- Since my own face is super sensitive I now use organic chamomile tea as a toner. We're also trying to dab this on Mr.T's sore areas after washing, then dab that dry again, and either moisturise or leave air at it if it doesn't look dry. 
- Hopes relief intensive moisturiser, this seemed great for a while but it seems Mr.T is like me and builds up intolerances to skin creams after a while. Hopes relief is one of them. I tried it on my face to test and my face didn't like it. Lol. Sounds strange I know, but if my face can handle a cream, then it's MILD! :)

So yeah, that's what springs to mind. I must have detergent in the house. It baffles me. We had a week in September where I thought we might have crossed the final hurdle but no. Then we've had someone stay with us that was secretly smoking, and made Mr.T exposed to perfume which set us back again. We've also had wintery weather. I keep going through it in my head, what are we missing? We've been at this for 9 months now since we discovered Mr.T's reaction to detergents, and we should have gotten to a stage of maintenance rather than detective work 5 months ago. Instead we're exhausted and not thinking clearly, running round in circles. Don't get me wrong, we have achieved masses, Mr.T has skin on his body now, soft, baby skin, and he sleeps without having to be 'restrained' by us from scratching, and he hasn't got infected bleeding sores anymore, but this last hurdle, grrrrrrr,.... It's invisible and we haven't managed to combat it. 
His cheeks, hands and ears are what still give him away as being a child with severe infantile eczema. I am trying to figure out step by step what is causing it. 
There is a forum from the solve eczema site, that I haven't yet had a chance to look at. I think this will be my next port of call when I get a chance over the next month. 
I put Mr.T to bed tonight and looked at him and thought what a strong little boy. How special is he. I just wish he wouldn't have to go through this. I just said sorry, for not having combated it so far. He doesn't know what a carefree life is yet, but it is my mission as his mum to provide him with a loving, balanced carefree childhood. I just have to try stay focused,....... The answer is right in front of me - somewhere. 




4 comments:

  1. Try Australian paw paw balm. You can get a brand called lucas papaw on Amazon. I don't have much experience with eczema but it's amazing for any kind of dry skin so might be worth a shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there,
      Thank you for your comment. I've just found it on amazon.uk so I'll give it a shot. I'll let you know how I get on. Thank you! :)

      Delete
  2. I'm 24 years of age and have contended with eczema all my life. Tried all sorts of creams and lotions and steroids I from the doctor. I have two daughters and my youngest, Hannah is nearly 8 months. She suffers with it too, although nowhere near as bad as your little one. I have started taking hemp oil capsules for around a week now which contain equal amounts of all of the essential fatty acids our body requires as we are unable to make it ourselves. There is a theory that eczema can be cured from the inside ou and that eczema can be a caused by a deficiency in these efas (essential fatty acids). Since taking them 2 x daily 1000mg, my itching has decreased, my skin is not as dry (still using diprobase and cetraben emollients as maintenance plus daily oilatum baths). The redness that once ensued on my body is now faint, the hemp oil is also a natural anti inflammatory too. I am just about to start splitting open the capsules and rubbing the oil onto Hannah's dry and red patches of eczema. I will try and update with outcome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Catherine,
      Thank you for your comment, apologies for my late reply. How are you getting on with the capsules on your little girl? Since reading your comment I hadn't had a chance to reply but I made my own hemp oil cream from this site: http://www.motherearthliving.com/health-and-wellness/natural-beauty/beauty-recipes/basic-body-lotion-recipe-zmez13jazmel.aspx#axzz2mdd6bkaK and then I used hemp oil as the main oil ingredient. Unfortunately I didn't see much change, good or bad. I would be interested to find out however how you got on. Maybe just the pure oil is better. I'll try that too. It's a slow process trying new things though as I'm sure you know, as you have to wait for the trial run of one thing to be over before you can start the next so you can pinpoint any reactions...if you like just email me on kathieroettger@gmail.com. Would love to hear from you.....

      Delete