Monday 20 May 2013

Green Breakfast smoothie

I've been asked a few times what I put into my breakfast smoothie, usually with a look of disgust on people's faces that see it. But wait till you taste it! It's good! And healthy, fills you up without being heavy too.  The main reason I do it is because I'm trying to get more raw leafy greens in my diet. 

So here goes: 

Ingredients:

 (excuse the 'rustic' style measurements, it's all about fun and personal preference so alter if you think you need to)

5 handfuls of fresh, washed spinach
2 handfuls of fresh chopped pineapple 
1 handful of blueberries
Half a litre of apple juice - not from concentrate!
Half a litre of GOOD water (not chlorinated, fluoridated tap water)
1 tbsp of organic hemp oil
1 tbsp of organic wheatgrass powder/or spirulina, whichevers handy. 

Blend it all up and voila! Pop eye? You can do better than that!

I'm not a nutritionist but I know the spinach has lots of iron. This can't be absorbed without vitamin C so hence the apple juice & pineapple.
The pineapple is in there as it makes it all taste yummy, and as well as the blueberries it is full of antioxidants. 
The hemp oil is for essential omegas, and the wheatgrass and spirulina may taste yuck, but are soooo good for you and go totally unnoticed with the pineapple in there. 

If there is no spinach then the leaves off our sprouting broccoli and kale are just as good. 

Enjoy! 




No comments:

Post a Comment