Saturday 24 May 2014

My happiness project: February - Be healthier (part 2)


2016 Update: My happiness project had to be put on hold for a few years as I couldn't take it on as all my focus was on getting our son better and I also had some health issues. 

I will be resuming it in the near future as I still think it would be a great thing to do, so I'll keep ye posted :) 

So my February happiness project was to be healthier. I did a detox, and came up with a healthier meal plan that suits our family, you can see this post here. On top of that though I planned on excercising more and giving this new fad ; oil pulling a go. I figured those things together would create an all round healthier me. :)

Unfortunately I didn't get as much excercising done as I'd hoped. I just didn't find the time. I'm sure you mums out there know what I mean. Where oh where do I squeeze it in? Argh! I can't get up any earlier,  and during the day it's impossible to get an hour for myself. After kiddie bedtime I feel like a sleepy pot belly pig from dinner and the days running around so no hope of excercise then.

I decided I could only do my best, and that was little spurts here and there, like when I'm supervising the kids in the bath (obviously always staying next to the bath, facing them, in case of accident) or folding laundry. I also started trying to get the kids to do work outs with me. Miss J happily joined in, delighted to be practising counting to 12 and 20 over and over. Mr.T on the other hand decided it was much more fun to sit my head or use me as a climbing frame.

Mr. T deciding excercising was too boring. 
I have always been into staying fit and excercising so I attended Pilates and various different work out classes in the past, and I also went to see a physiotherapist after Mr.T's pregnancy as I had a three finger gap in my stomach muscles called diastasis recti. The work out that I do is my own personal culmination of these excercises as well as some I found on you tube and in a post pregnancy book called Superfit Mama.

Every body shape is different so if you're  planning on getting fit I would advise to attend some classes and do some research as to what suits you. It also of course depends on health and injuries. What current state of health and fitness your body is in should be the first thing you assess. For example I was in a car accident 8 years ago and still suffer from whiplash if I'm not careful so any excercises I do, I bear this in mind.
Well, if you'd like some ideas and would like to read how I went about my excercise plan here goes:

Firstly I measured myself. I have no weighing scales in my house but I'm around 52kg, and 5ft4. That works out at an 'average' though slightly small 30 year old woman. I took measurements of the places I would hope would tone up with the work outs which are the following:
- Bum/hips (widest part of bum)
- Belly (measure at same height as belly button)
- Waist ( thinnest part)
- Bust (seeing as these are still changing and recovering post partum I wanted to   observe change in these too)

Everybody wants to achieve different goals, so what you aim for is entirely up to you, your health, time, and ability. My body shape is rectangular ie. not much curves going on, so not much bum & boobs and not much of a waist, but fairly athletic and though i eat like a horse I rarely put on weight. My goals weren't anything drastic, but after two pregnancies some toning and core strength is needed. You know yourself, exercise results might not be noticeable to others, but it could be the difference between looking in the mirror before you get dressed thinking 'rrrraaaarrrr! :)' or thinking 'hmpf! :/'. Measuring yourself is a good way to stay motivated and know whats happening.

I decided to try the exercise plan in the Superfit Mama book mentioned above. It's basically short 10 minute routines focusing on butt, belly, flexibility and a general circuit work out to cover all areas. That way I could maybe squeeze in 10 minutes here or there. I still have to tell myself: relax! It's ok if u can't get it all done. At least you're doing something. Breath! The time will come.

Obviously I can't copy everything from the book here due to copyright, but I've had a look online to find some similar exercises, and also some videos I think are suited.

So here's some of the excercises I have on my list:

Hip flexor stretch (tight hip flexors get in the way of seeing results from stomach exercises. A good idea to throw some in)

Butt work outs, and here's some more :) Just found another one that Miss J always wants to copy: Booty kicks

Belly workouts: Reverse crunchToe Dip, and here's a work out from Tracy Mallet.

- Hoola hooping! I used to steal Miss J's hoola hoop and after 60 seconds of keeping it up I was sweating and my stomach muscles were screaming for help! Great fun too. I now bought myself a hoop that fits me, and one for each of the kids so we can do it together. It's hard work at the start, but great for warming up everything when you haven't got an opportunity to go for a warm up walk. Here's the video I watched to get me started: Beginners Hoola Hooping

I haven't got the opportunity to upload my own exercise routine via video, so I've just come up with that collection by searching for some of my usual exercises online. I mainly use the ones from the Super Mama book mentioned above, which I would highly recommend. (Please note I am not being endorsed for this article). Of course I adapt anything I need to in order to make it work for my whiplash, so please, be careful! Also, not all the exercises and movements above are what I would call suitable, some are too harsh on your body I think, but use your common sense, and listen to your body. You know best. And if you don't, consult a professional trainer or fitness expert. 

Now where do I find the time to fit all this in? I have no idea! I'm a real mum, with a real life, and one of my children needs a lot of extra care. For more info go here.
I basically just do what I can. 10 minutes here, 10 minutes there, and sometimes, god help me, try to do it with the kids :)

Getting everyone ready to exercise ;)

As for the oil pulling. Gosh! I tried and failed. I get up in the mornings between 6am and 6.30am and get the kids ready.....I failed to not talk for 20 minutes. Miss J thinks its hilarious to try make mummy talk when she's nearly gagging on coconut oil. I've decided to leave it for a while, and keep it as an interesting venture to do in a few years time. I am definitely interested in it, but right now, it wouldn't work. You just can't shut me up :)






No comments:

Post a Comment